You may take any Honours English degree in either the Regular mode or the Coop mode. We welcome you to study in the mode that best suits you.
The academic requirements of Honours English degree plans are identical, whether you are a Regular or a Co-op student.
Your choice of Regular or Co-op thus normally involves considerations which are in many ways non-academic. Each mode has its advantages and its disadvantages, and you will wish to choose between the modes according to your own personal and academic needs.
If you are a regular honours student:
· you will normally enroll for your courses in Fall and Winter Terms, taking Spring Term away from your studies;
· you will probably finish your four-year BA program in four chronological years;
· you will not have Co-op fees to pay;
· you will not have to adjust to the term-by-term alternations between a focus on study and a focus on work, or to the often necessary moves between cities and apartments;
· you will be able to keep your concentration on your studies, rather than having to split it with obligations to a Co-op program.
If you are a co-op honours student:
· you will normally need five chronological years to finish your four-year BA program because of the interposition of work terms into your academic career;
· you will be able to earn a salary to help with the financing of your education during your alternating work terms;
· you will gain valuable work experiences and life experiences through your work terms, as well as useful additions to your resumé;
· you will learn from the discipline imposed by the work/study alternations;
· you may well enjoy the change of pace made possible by the alternations;
· you will need to take CS 100 (or a similar CS course).